There are a number of trigger factors that affect children with moderate to severe eczema. These include everything from dry, red, itchy, weeping skin and household irritants to stress and diet. But what about your child’s clothing that is right next to their sensitive skin? Could what your darling wears on a regular basis be exacerbating their symptoms? We are fabric experts and caring and concerned parents and we want to share what we've found to be the best fabrics for eczema as well as the fabrics to avoid. Starting with the most irritating eczema fabric to the best fabrics for eczema. You will probably be surprised by the results.
Eczema Fabrics to Avoid vs. Best Fabrics for Eczema
Eczema Fabrics to Avoid
- Fleece - It’s a bit of a mixed bag when it comes to fleece and eczema. The main thing to be aware of with fleece is that of your child getting too hot, which obviously makes symptoms worse. There’s also the bulkiness aspect of fleece clothing. Because of this, there can be uncomfortable bunching around the elbows, shoulders, and knees. Not to mention, it’s no fun when the fuzz of the fleece catches on dry skin. A solid chunk of skin care experts would agree that clothing made of thin fleece fabrics is worth trying for your child. Fleece makes for a nice lightweight top layer as we approach spring.
- Wool - This may be the worst material of the bunch. The itch takes place when the ends of some wool fibers push against the skin, resulting in nerve endings in the skin being stimulated. This only leads to additional skin irritation and scratching, causing a domino effect of more inflammation and itching. Be aware that some wool clothing contains traces of natural lanolin, a known eczema trigger.
Best Fabrics for Eczema
- Cotton - This material is a fairly popular choice for children with eczema but may not be the best choice. Yes, the loose material of cotton allows the skin to breathe easily but even the softest cotton is made from relatively coarse fibers that can aggravate sensitive skin. Other disadvantages to cotton are that it is prone to absorb moisture and can create abrasive friction that can irritate the skin if your child sweats. When cotton is used for wet wrapping it tends to be soggy, stretch out of shape and leave a child miserable. Granted, cotton is much more comfortable than synthetic fabrics or wool. It’s certainly not the top choice of parents, however.
- Silk - Silk eczema clothing has long been popular in the UK and up until recently was covered in the National Health Society but it may be more psychological than physical. Silk tends to be a much better choice over cotton because it feels smoother but is expensive and difficult to care for. A recent study at the University of Nottingham in the UK has also shown that there is no real benefit to treating eczema with silk clothing.
- Microfiber clothing - More and more children with eczema are turning to microfiber material for eczema relief. Does it really work? Well, microfiber fabrics tend to be more absorbent than cotton and may work better for some children. Your kiddo will appreciate that this kind of clothing is not inherently irritating and doesn’t feel rough on their skin.
The difference between TEWLTect® Skin Smart Fabric and why it's the best choice of fabric for eczema clothing.
We believe that your child deserves less itch and more smile. That’s how we came up with the idea of our therapeutic clothing for eczema. Soothems eczema clothing is made from a proprietary smart fabric called TEWLTect®, a blend of high-performance sustainable polymer fibers enhanced with a biopolymer called Chitosan and Zinc Oxide. TEWLTect® has an unmatched ability to provide a positive, soothing effect that reduces itchiness and helps keep moisture in the skin. This smart fabric can be used as an occlusive barrier wet or dry, with or without emollients, and in combination with any medication.
Here are some interesting scientific facts about TEWLTect® skin smart eczema fabric:
- It’s an environmentally sustainable blend of natural cellulosic polymer fibers encapsulated in zinc oxide; 60 percent TENCEL™, 35 percent TANBOOCEL®, and 5 percent Creora™ spandex.
- It offers maximum wearing comfort because the yarns are soft, pliable, symmetrically rounded, smooth, breathable, and virtually friction-free to limit chafing as much as possible.
- The cellulose fibers it contains have been independently tested to show they will absorb half of their own weight in moisture before feeling damp. This makes the smart fabric much more superior to fabrics such as cotton, polyester, nylon, and even silk. TEWLTect® is in a class of in its own in part because it allows the release of moisture to aid in preserving skin moisture, thereby promoting the ideal climate for the human skin. The properties of the cellulose fibers help regulate body temperature for greater comfort and can relieve skin irritation.
- Chitosan is clinically proven to promote healing by inhibiting bacteria growth on human skin. It prevents and alleviates infections, stores moisture, binds proteins, and is hemostatic.
- Zinc Oxide is clinically proven to be anti-inflammatory, soothing to the skin, and even acts as a protective layer on the skin to lock in moisture.
According to Dr. Peter Lio, MD, Board Certified Dermatologist, and a member of the National Eczema Association Scientific Advisory Committee "the TEWLTect® fabric used to make Soothems eczema clothing is highly effective at controlling bacteria on the skin of atopic dermatitis patients and helps calm itching, inflammation and works great for wet wrapping. The overall benefits are incredible and even help reduce patient stress and improve sleep patterns."
More Than Just Eczema Clothing
We are proud to sell a variety of eczema suits, eczema sleeves, eczema sleepwear, and eczema bottoms for children suffering from eczema. But our efforts don’t end there. We believe in the therapeutic power of an imaginative story that entertains, empathizes, and normalizes life with eczema. Our solution for easing this uncomfortable condition is to have your child put on their Soothems garment and then read them one of our special bedtime story books. Search for a Smile in the Moon Free eBook. We’re certain that the combination of the garment with the magic print and our books will delight them into a more restful night’s sleep.
It’s time to set your child up with success in dealing with their eczema. Shop our eczema clothing now.