Believe it or not, the holiday season is upon us once again. Maybe you’re already working on getting the house decorated. It could be that you’re planning on which days to go shopping for loved ones. As you’re out and about the next few weeks, chances are you will be bombarded with messaging featuring the latest gadget or electronic. This is the year to re-think holiday shopping if you have a child with eczema. Do they really need the latest phone or video game? Could they benefit from something more useful instead that would allow them to feel better both physically and mentally? Keep reading to check out some of our favorite gift ideas for children with skin conditions.
- Humidifier - This is a must-have for the winter months when the air is particularly dry. As we’ve said in previous blog posts, the skin’s main function is to provide a barrier against dirt, germs, and chemicals from the outside. Once the barrier becomes dry, skin is more rough and tight. Keep in mind that dry skin is brittle, whereas moist skin is soft and flexible. Children with eczema have a defect in their skin, meaning their skin has trouble staying moist. Not surprisingly, your son or daughter’s dry skin is at its worst in the colder months when the heat is on and the humidity drops. That’s why it’s a good idea to invest in a reliable humidifier this season. Try to get one that also has an antimicrobial treated filter.
- Epsom salts - These work wonders for anybody, especially those with eczema. Epsom salts help to soothe muscle aches, pains, and irritated skin. Not only that, but they flush out nasty toxins and improve absorption of nutrients. Speaking of Epsom salts, let’s review some bathing tips. First and foremost, your child should be bathing in warm water, not hot. At most, they should spend 10 minutes in the tub or shower. Your son or daughter should only use a cleanser that’s mild and fragrance-free.
- Spring water - Hydration and skin care go hand in hand. Prime Physique Nutrition specifically recommends Avene Spring Water for those who have skin issues and eczema. In addition to helping you stay hydrated, spring water offers numerous other health benefits as well.
- Blender - Many children with eczema struggle with food allergies. Common offenders include eggs, milk, peanuts, soy, wheat, and seafood. If you believe your son or daughter has a food allergy, try keeping a food journal and write down what they eat and drink. If you notice more hives, face swelling, or an increase in inflammation, eliminate that particular food group. Just don’t exclude multiple food groups at the same time, as your child may become malnourished with prolonged avoidance of many foods. This is where the usefulness of a blender comes into play. Smoothies do a great job of ridding the body of toxins and relieving eczema symptoms by detoxifying. Not to mention, all the good stuff you can add to smoothies provide nutrition to help your child’s body heal.
- Healing balm - This ties back in with the humidifier. A healing balm made from all natural ingredients works great keeping skin healthy and hydrated. As you look for the right one, take a glance at what the product contains. Steer clear of petroleum, parabens, phthalates, and other harsh chemicals. Opt for a healing balm that’s fragrance-free, gentle, and safe enough for babies and kids. Hemp Seed Healing Balm is non-comedogenic, meaning it won’t block pores of your child’s skin. On top of that, it’s enriched with skin-healing ingredients such as hemp seed oil, organic shea butter, and sweet almond oil.
- Eczema clothing - What better gift for your son or daughter than a more restful night’s sleep? Soothems eczema clothing truly is one-of-a-kind. Made from our innovative TEWLTect smart fabric, our therapeutic clothing for eczema works to ease the discomfort of your child’s flare-ups from eczema and other skin conditions. Once your child has finished bathing and moisturizing, they’re ready to change into Soothems garments for the night. At that point, it’s time to read them our storybook. Coupled with the special disappearing prints of their garments, we’re certain your child will be delighted and comforted into a deep sleep they need.
From eczema sleepwear and eczema bottoms to eczema suits and eczema sleeves, see what all we have to offer for the holidays. Shop Soothems now.