In previous blog posts, we’ve looked at alternative treatments for eczema such as apple cider vinegar, coconut oil, and others. Our team wants to explore another one in this post: essential oils. A clinical survey cited in Natural Living Ideas found that more than 40 percent of those polled were dissatisfied with the current state of medical treatments for eczema. Considering that more than 30 million Americans suffer from atopic dermatitis, it’s safe to say a large number of those with the condition feel the same way. Let’s switch gears a bit, though. If you have a young child suffering from eczema, you will do whatever necessary to help them feel better, right? The fact is that more parents are adding essential oils to their little one’s eczema prevention routine. Here are the top 10 essential oils to alleviate symptoms:
- Thyme - The key compound found in thyme is carvacrol. Essentially, carvacrol functions as a natural defense against pain, swelling, infection, and inflammation. Experts have found that thyme reduces COX-2 expression by as much as 65 percent. What’s COX-2 you ask? It’s the enzyme found at elevated levels during eczema flare-ups.
- Clove - Just about all of the clove is comprised of eugenol, a substance dentists rely on as an antiseptic and anti-inflammatory to relieve pain and swelling. Clove oil suppressed COX-2 by about 40 percent.
- Rose - Believe it or not, rose oil has some pretty incredible antidepressant and aphrodisiac properties. Similar to clove, rose also contains a good deal of eugenol. In the same 2009 study, rose oil was effective in lowering COX-2 by 30 percent.
- Eucalyptus - There are countless benefits of eucalyptus oil. Eucalyptol, the main ingredient, is used commercially in mouthwashes and cough suppressants. Parents of babies and young children will appreciate that studies show eucalyptus oil is an effective treatment for pain relief and inflammation.
- Fennel - Few other essential oils boast the anti-inflammatory qualities of fennel. Not to mention, fennel disrupted the production of COX-2 by more than 20 percent.
- Rose geranium - For years, those with sensitive skin have turned to the soothing properties of rose geranium. A 2013 study showed that the oil can also be used as an anti-inflammatory. The researchers applied a tiny amount of oil to inflamed skin and found it reduced swelling by more than 70 percent.
- Chamomile - When you think of calming oils, we’re willing to guess chamomile probably comes to mind. Skin care experts found that topical application with chamomile decreased inflammation in those with eczema. Interestingly, chamomile worked better than a number of over-the-counter steroid creams.
- Tea tree - For ages, tea tree oil has worked wonders to treat infections, cold symptoms, and skin ailments. If your child struggles with sores, itchiness, and inflammation from atopic dermatitis, it may be worth your time to give tea tree oil a try.
- Turmeric - Have you ever wondered what gives turmeric its distinct yellow color and earthy, spicy aroma? Well, it’s the curcumin. Multiple studies confirm that curcumin's anti-inflammatory effects inhibit COX-2.
- Lavender - We saved maybe the most versatile essential oil for last. People use lavender for depression, sleeplessness, pain, poor digestion, and much more. Add lavender to your list of oils that reduce inflammation.
Effective Treatment for Infant Eczema
Unfortunately, there is no “one-size-fits-all” eczema treatment. What we mean by this is the regimen that works for your baby may not work for your neighbor’s. It’s imperative to explore a variety of eczema skin care treatments and figure out which yield the most positive results. Here at Soothems, we have developed eczema therapy products using a smart fabric called TEWLTect, a blend of high performance, sustainable polymer fibers enhanced with Chitosan and zinc oxide. Our baby eczema treatment provides a positive, soothing effect that works to reduce itchiness and preserve moisture levels.
If you’ve been searching for effective eczema sleepwear or, more specifically, eczema pajamas, you’ve come to the right place. Soothems has rompers, skull caps, arm/leg sleeves, and so much more to help your little one not only be more comfortable in their own skin but also get the great night’s sleep they deserve.
Stay tuned for more blog posts detailing holistic treatments for eczema. Shop now for infant eczema products and watch your kiddo take off for the land of smiles!