In previous blog posts, we’ve explained the impact of dietary changes on eczema symptoms. There are some additional natural remedies that can be used to speed healing or even just limit discomfort. We dive into some of those in this blog post.
- Coconut oil - It seems like we can use coconut oil for just about everything. It’s great for skin, hair, and overall wellness. Well, coconut oil is also a great topical solution for eczema symptoms. Just a thin layer of coconut oil or coconut oil lotion helps cool eczema itching and pain. If your child is sensitive to coconut oil, consider using hypoallergenic lotion bars as an alternative.
- Seaspray - It’s no secret that those with eczema often moisturize as much as possible. That said, try to incorporate a combination of vitamin D, magnesium, and minerals into your treatment strategy. Seaspray can alleviate eczema that is wet/oozing.
- Fermented cod liver oil - This supplement is an ideal source of healthy fats for the body. Fermented cod liver oil helps reduce inflammation in the body, leading to healthy cells, hormones, and brain development. Along with high-vitamin butter oil, cod liver oil offers a great source of fat-soluble vitamins A, D, E, and K. You should notice a difference when adding cod liver oil to your child’s skin health regimen.
- Magnesium baths - A soothing bath does wonders for child and infant eczema. For one, it temporarily relieves itching symptoms. Secondly, it allows your child to relax. To make your child’s baths even more beneficial, consider adding a bit of Epsom salt or magnesium flakes. Just remember to only use a mild, fragrance-free cleanser. A bubble bath can actually exacerbate your child’s eczema symptoms.
- Probiotics - Similar to cod liver oil, probiotics can make a noticeable difference with skin health. Unfortunately, many children don’t get enough probiotics with their diet. That’s why it’s important to bolster your child’s wellness with a regular probiotic supplement.
- Homemade healing salve - Eczema symptoms are different for everybody. Experts have found, though, that a healing salve can be helpful for scars or blisters. Your healing salve might consist of olive/almond oil, beeswax, dried comfrey leaf, dried plantain leaf, and other natural healing ingredients. The salve should have comparable properties to ointments such as Neosporin.
Soothems Smart Fabric
We have developed Soothems to help those with skin conditions such as atopic dermatitis, eczema, psoriasis, and skin allergies. Soothems are made from a smart fabric known as TEWLTect, a blend of high-performance polymer fibers enhanced with chitosan and zinc oxide. Thanks to TEWLTect, your child can enjoy a positive, soothing effect when the skin naturally releases moisture. The smart fabrics in Soothems can be used as an occlusive barrier wet or dry, with or without emollients and topical steroids as prescribed by a medical professional.
Here are some noteworthy facts about TEWLTect Smart Fabric:
- It offers maximum wearing comfort because the yarns are pliable, soft, symmetrically rounded, smooth, breathable, and nearly friction-free to reduce chaffing
- As opposed to cotton, it absorbs 50 percent of its own weight in moisture before feeling damp. In turn, this helps regulate body temperature for greater comfort.
- The smart fibers are made to be thermo-regulating. Plus, the hollow structures in the fibers promote breathability and coolness. When it comes to eczema skincare, nothing is more important than proper airflow for healing.
- It traps and releases moisture, providing a cool feeling that increases a pleasant sensation on the skin which can significantly decrease the amount of itching. In contrast, heat can aggravate eczema symptoms.
More than Just Eczema Therapy
At Soothems, we seek to improve the quality of life for children suffering from skin conditions such as eczema. From infant eczema to child eczema, we strive to provide long-lasting symptom relief. One of the ways we do that is an imaginative story that entertains, empathizes, and normalizes a child’s life with eczema and other skin conditions. By having your child put on Soothems garments and then reading them one of our special books, they can enjoy a relaxing experience. Hopefully, the book and garment will delight and comfort your child to a more restful night’s sleep.
Stay tuned for future blog posts as we continue to educate about eczema.