Does your child struggle with eczema on their feet? If so, they have what’s known as dyshidrotic eczema. One of the more common forms of the condition, it causes small, intensely itchy blisters on the edges of fingers, palms, toes, and soles of the feet. As explained by the National Eczema Association, triggers of dyshidrotic eczema include stress, allergies, moist hands and feet, as well as contact with nickel, cobalt, and chromium salts. The blisters with this type of eczema are especially tricky to manage because they last up to three weeks before starting to dry. Unfortunately, dyshidrotic eczema can be pretty painful. As the blisters start to dry, they may turn into skin cracks or even cause the skin to feel thick and spongy. Parents especially feel as though there’s no relief in sight for their child’s dyshidrotic eczema. But there are ways to treat it. Keep reading to learn more about this type of eczema.
What to Know About Dyshidrotic Eczema
You’re probably already familiar with the itch and redness that comes with eczema. However, dyshidrotic eczema is a bit different. Here are some of the common symptoms:
- Small fluid-filled blisters on the fingers, hands, and feet
- Scaly, cracked skin
How to Prevent Dyshidrotic Eczema
Unfortunately, there is no cure for this skin condition. That said, it’s imperative to establish a skin care routine with your child. We’ll touch on this more a bit later in the post, but daily bathing and moisturizing can help strengthen the skin against irritation. Skin that’s strong and healthy helps prevent flare-ups and worsening of symptoms. Here are some basic tips from the NEA to help control your child’s dyshidrotic eczema:
- Educate them about their eczema triggers and how they can avoid them.
- Moisturize every day.
- Have them wear soft, loose-fitting clothing and avoid rough, scratchy fibers such as wool.
- Be sure they take lukewarm (not hot) baths and showers while using a mild soap or non-soap cleansers.
- Gently pat their skin dry with a soft towel.
- Within three minutes after bathing, apply a moisturizer to “lock in” the moisture.
- Avoid rapid changes of temperature and high-intensity activities. Sweat will only exacerbate your child’s eczema symptoms.
- Use a humidifier in cold, dry weather.
- Keep their fingernails short to help prevent scratching from breaking the skin.
- If your child also deals with allergies, take the time to remove carpets from the house and give your pets regular dander treatments.
How Our Eczema Clothing Can Help
Soothems was established to help improve the quality of life for children dealing with sensitive skin conditions, such as eczema. Our team is committed to delivering products with the highest integrity, quality, and value from the company’s proprietary material called TEWLTect and its proven therapeutic benefits. TEWLTect is unlike anything else in that it protects and soothes itchy skin. That means your child can enjoy a better night of sleep and you can too!
How to Care for Soothems Garments
- Machine wash in hot water, rinse twice to remove residual detergent and lay flat to dry to avoid shrinkage.
- Try using a non-bio mild, fragrance-free, hypoallergenic, liquid detergent when washing Soothems. Before allowing to dry, rinse twice to remove all remaining residual soap.
- For stubborn stains, create a mixture of baking soda, lemon juice, and vinegar into a paste for a natural, all-purpose cleaner and stain remover. Then gently rub the paste into the stain and allow it to soak overnight. Follow the normal care instructions to wash and rinse the remaining paste.
You can feel comfortable knowing that our garments can be washed over 40 times without significant degradation to functional performance. Just be sure to follow the care instructions.
Therapeutic Clothing for Eczema and More
Whether your child has eczema on their feet, hands, face, knees, or somewhere else, rest assured that Soothems is here to help. We believe in the power of an imaginative story that entertains, empathizes, and normalizes life with eczema and other skin conditions. Our solution for easing your child’s discomfort is twofold. First, have your child put on their garment. Then read them one of our special Soothems bedtime story books. They will absolutely love the magic disappearing print of the garment, as well as the fun story!
Shop Soothems now and watch your child experience less itch and more happiness!